Fish biryani is a simple Hyderabadi style fish dum biryani. While making fish biryani it doesn’t need much waiting time after the marination. All the steps are done without any waiting time and fish is cooked very fast, so it a recipe that just needs about 45 minutes. This biryani recipe is an easy one and anyone can try it even beginners can also make it very easily.
Use coconut milk instead of yogurt to make a fish biryani in a Kerala style. If you wish you can also add tomato, details are given in the recipe card below. In my opinion an onion raita is the best with this fish biryani and serve it when it is hot or warm. For your benefit I have given the onion ratia recipe in this post.
I have used 2 large sized fish pieces above 220 grams each. If you wish to use small fishes you can do that also. But if you are using the small fishes, you may have to increase the quantity of ingredients for marinade a bit. Don’t use too much masala or ginger garlic paste, it makes the fish taste bitter.
I have used seer fish but any kind of fresh fish would be fine.
You only need around 45 minutes to complete this recipe. You only need about 5 minutes to prepare the ingredients and about 40 minutes to cook it.
Ingredients that I used (I used a 240 ml cup)
Ingredients needed to marinate
- Fish – 450to 500 grams
- Three fourth tablespoon of ginger garlic paste (if you are using many small fish pieces use 1 tablespoon)
- 1 small tomato that is chopped very finely (it is totally optional)
- Half tablespoon of red chili powder
- One fourth to half tablespoon of biryani masala or garam masala
- One third tablespoon of turmeric
- Lemon juice one and a half tablespoon
- Salt (as needed)
Ingredients for biryani gravy
- Oil 2.5 to 3 tablespoon
- Three fourth cup onions that are thinly sliced and separate the layers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 piece star anise or biryani flower
- 3 piece green cardamoms
- 1 small piece of cinnamon stick
- 4 to 6 piece of cloves
- Half tablespoon shahi jeera or cumin
- 1 small strand of mace
- Ginger garlic paste one a fourth tablespoon
- Three fourth to 1 tablespoon biryani masala powder
- Coriander powder half tablespoon
- Red chili powder half tablespoon
- Three fourth cup of yogurt that is semi thick or you can use coconut milk
- Kewra water 1 tablespoon
- Handful of mint leaves and coriander leaves
- Pinch of saffron
- Milk 2 tablespoon
- Salt (as needed)
Needed for biryani rice
- One and a half cup of basmati rice
- Salt (use as needed)
Fish biryani recipe step by step
- Soak the saffron in warm milk and set them aside.
- Soak rice for minimum 20 minutes and cook it. The rice must be cooked fully but don’t make it mushy.
- Mix the ingredients that is mentioned under ingredients needed to marinate all together to marinate them without fish. To check the spice and salt taste the marinade. And now marinate the fish and set them aside till the rice is cooked.
- In little oil on both the sides fry the fishes till the fish is cooked and the masala becomes golden. Along with any oil set them aside.
- Now add more oil to the pan and fry the onions until it becomes lightly golden, set them aside for a few time for garnish.
- In the same pan, add some spices and fry them also.
- Then add the ginger garlic paste and fry them until the raw smell is gone. If you are using tomato, add it and cook until it becomes soft. Now add biryani masala or garam masala and coriander powder, also the red chili powder and fry them very quickly.
- After that pour yogurt or coconut milk and stir them nicely. Cook until the mixture becomes thick. Set them aside.
- Add only half of the rice to the biryani pot, layer the gravy, and add some chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves. Now layer the fried fish along with oily stock.
- Now repeat layering the rice again and after that sprinkle coriander leaves over the rice, mint leaves and fried onions. Also pour the saffron milk and sprinkle kewra water.
- Seal it with a foil and put it on a hot pan. Cook it on high flame for 2 minutes and on very low flame for 10 minutes.
- Let the fish biryani to rest for about 15 minutes before you serve it.
Onion ratia recipe for biryani
Slice 1 large onion thinly, chop some chilies and coriander leaves. Whisk one cup yogurt with salt, add the chopped ingredients and mix them together. You can also use cumin powder if you wish, it is good at aiding digestion.
If you wish you can add half tablespoon shahi jeera, 1 piece bay leaf, 3 piece green cardamoms, 4 piece cloves, 1 piece cinnamon stick to cooking rice.
If you are using frozen fish, don’t leave it for longer than 10 to 15 minutes after marination.