Hummus Recipe! Lately, everything revolves around the hummus and the traditional method of preparation thereof. When the British newspaper The Guardian raised the question “Who owns hummus?”, Broke the big wave of reactions. Lebanese claimed that hummus is one of them, as well as residents of Jerusalem. And according to Wikipedia? According to her, the first mention of the recipe reminiscent Chickpea paste as we know it today, reported the Egyptian cookbook from the 13th century.
Hummus was, and still is, the subject of pride and identity in the Middle East. Today There is hardly even a dispute about who invented hummus, but also lead a discussion over who makes him best. And we are here to talk about hummus recipe and most authentic hummus, which can not taste it.
Besides, try our recipe and make your own opinion:
- Cooking time: 2 h 15 min (when using chickpeas from a can – 10 min)
- Total preparation time: 10 h 15 min (in the case of dipping chickpeas overnight)
- Serves: 4-6
What to prepare hummus we need:
- 425 g cans of chickpeas (or uncooked)
- 59 mltahini paste
- 59 ml lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil + extra for serving
- ½ teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- spice sumac and red pepper for garnish
How to do hummus Recipe:
1) Chickpeas Soak overnight in plenty of water (at least twice the volume of chickpeas). If using a can, step 1 and 2 skip.
2) The next day, drain the chickpeas and place in a medium-sized pot. Again pour plenty of water and cook for 1-2 hours. When cooked pass the chickpeas into a large colander over the sink. Rinse under cold water and rub her hands, to remove it from the skin.
3) In a food processor place the tahini, lemon juice and mix for 1 minute. Furthermore, add olive oil, garlic, cumin and salt. The robot is switched on for 30 seconds to combine the ingredients. Spatula wipe the robot and mix for 30 seconds. Now add half cooked chickpeas or flushing of the cans and mix for 1 minute. Again, we wipe the wall processor and mix until you achieve a smooth and creamy hummus.
4) If the hummus is too thick, add to it 2-3 teaspoons of water or 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt Blend again.
5) Serve at room temperature or slightly cooler. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a little paprika or sumac and relish it with our favorite vegetables and warm pita bread.
Hummus lasts in a closed vessel at least a week. On top recommended to pour a thin layer of olive oil, our homemade hummus nicely sealed.