Mushrooms and Prosciutto Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, diced
- 1 lb thinly sliced, trimmed mushrooms
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 tbsp minced parsley leaves
Preparation for Mushrooms and Prosciutto:
- In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter over low heat. When butter begins to froth, add the flour. Mix well with a wire whisk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly golden. Add chicken broth, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and nutmeg. Turn heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Cover saucepan and set white sauce aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat until haze forms, then add 2 tbsp butter. Add scallions and cook, stirring constantly, until barely tender, about 1 minute. Stir in prosciutto and cook, stirring, until softened but not brown, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, turn heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until mushrroms just begin to exude their juices, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Pour white sauce over mushroom mixture and blend well. Turn heat to low and cook, stirring, until mixture is well incorporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta in 6 quarts boiling water with 1 tbsp salt until al dente. Drain in a colander, transfer to a bowl containing 1 tbsp softened butter and toss quickly. Mix 3/4 of the sauce and Parmigiano cheese with pasta. Spoon remaining sauce over pasta and garnish with minced parsley. serve with additional freshly grated Parmigiano cheese.