Vegetable stick roll is a time saving recipe and you can have this delicious recipe in your breakfast or snack. It needs only 15 minutes to cook and you can easily prepare it within only 15 minutes! So you can get ready the dish within 30 minutes. If you having a busy schedule then this vegetable stick roll is a savior of you. Kids also love this food item.
This vegetable stick rolls are made with vegetable filling by a wrap of flat bread. You can serve this vegetable stick rolls among 4 to 5 people.
Ingredients for vegetable stick roll:
(NB: for this recipe I use a cup of about 240 ml. you can add or remove some vegetables if you want and you can also double the amount for serving more people)
For the wrapping flat bread:
For this recipe you need 1 cup of whole wheat flour, little salt or as per your taste, one third cup of warm or regular water or buttermilk and 1 tea spoon of vegetable oil
For the filling:
For the filling you need 1 medium sized potato (cubed), 1 cup of each vegetables of your choice (capsicum, tomatoes, peas, cauliflower, carrot, bean etc.), 1 table spoon of vegetable oil, half tea spoon of cumin seeds, half tea spoon of mustard seeds, a pinch of asafetida, 1 thinly sliced medium sized onion, half to three fourth tea spoon of ginger and garlic paste or grated ginger or minced garlic, one fourth to half tea spoon of spice powder, half to three fourth tea spoon of coriander powder, one fourth to half tea spoon of red chili powder or as per your taste, a pinch of turmeric powder, few chopped coriander leaves, 2 to 3 table spoon of green chutney or any other chutney or sauce and salt as per your taste
Cooking method for vegetable stick roll:
- Steam or boil potato and be careful so that potatoes won’t get mushy.
- Make soft dough by using flour, salt, vegetable oil and water. Knead well until it becomes soft.
- Cover it with a lid and set aside till the filling is ready.
- Heat a pan with vegetable oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add asafetida, onions and salt. Sauté until onions turn golden.
- Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
- Add the entire vegetables. Add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and spice powder.
- Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Cover and cook on a low flame until the vegetables are cooked. Allow them to cool.
- Divide the dough 4 to 5 equal parts.
- Then lightly sprinkle the rolling area and dough the ball with flour.
- Roll the ball evenly to a round layer.
- Heat a pan on a medium high heat. Gently transfer the flat breads to the flat pan.
- When you see tiny bubbles, then flip it and press down gently with a spatula.
- Cook both the sides flipping until both the sides are cooked with golden to brown spots. Then Add ghee or oil.
- Spread a kitchen cover or tissue on a plate. Transfer the flat bread on it. Make all the flat breads and stack them in the plate.
Another in details step by step cooking method for vegetable stick roll:
- Steam or boil potatoes. I have used a large potato, washed, peeled and cubed. I have steamed in pressure cooker until it done properly.
- If you know how to make flat bread, you may skip the first few steps of making them. Add 1 cup flour in a mixing bowl and Sprinkle little salt. I usually use salt.
- Add 1 tea spoon of oil and little less than one third cup of water. Oil is optional. You can also use buttermilk for make the dough.
- Then Mix it with dough. Knead well until it looks soft and pliable. Cover it and set aside until the filling is ready.
- Take some oil in a pan and give cumin and mustard .When they begin to crackle then add asafetida.
- Add sliced onion and sprinkle salt. Sauté until they slightly discolor.
- Add ginger garlic paste.
- Sauté until the raw smell goes off.
- Add the mixed veggies. I used potatoes, green peas and capsicum.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, spice powder and coriander powder. For the kids’ I generally use less spice powder and more coriander powder
- Mix every asafetida well and sauté for a minute.
- Cover and cook on a very low heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the capsicum partially cooks. Set aside. While these ready, I’ve finished making the fresh green chutney.
- Allow this to cool. Using hot filling to make stick rolls will break the flat bread quickly.
- Divide the dough within 4 or 5 equal parts. Shape them a ball.
- Take some flour on the rolling board. Then flatten a ball and sprinkle flour over both side of it.
- After that roll it to a round shaped layer. Set aside and continue it until you fry them.
- Heat a griddle. When it becomes hot enough then transfer the flat breads to the pan.
- When you begin to see the bubbles, flip it and press down gently.
- Cook on both sides until it turns golden to brown spots appear. You can add ghee or oil with it. Spread a kitchen cover or tissue on a plate. Transfer the cooked flat bread on the plate and stack them.
- Smelt the chutney as much as you like. Make sure that chutney is thick else the flat bread will turn soggy and break. You can also use fresh veggies.
- Then Fold one edge of the flat bread towards the inner side. Begin to roll it tightly. Use a tooth pick to hold the stick roll in shape. You can also use a foil to wrap the rolls.